POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:57:52 EDT (-0400)
  Commercial Povray (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: JRG
Subject: Re: Commercial Povray
Date: 19 Mar 2002 13:23:43
Message: <3c97822f$1@news.povray.org>
Phew! Three days closed in my anti-atomic bunker kept me safe from that toxic cloud
which seems to have crossed this newsgroup recently...

--
Jonathan.

"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Well why not ?
>
> Pov as it currently exists is still given away to all who care to play
>
> Commercial versions are developed as seamless plugins for the big expensive
> 3d environments - such as Maya & max. closed source and with a different
> licence.
>
> cash raised could be used to pay for the web services, pay someone to
> support the commercial versions, etc etc etc
>
> --
>
> Rick
>
> Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
> POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
> TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037
>
> PGP Public Key
> http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x231E1CEA

Post a reply to this message

From: Harold Baize
Date: 19 Mar 2002 14:24:22
Message: <3c979066@news.povray.org>
Yes it would, but not most of them. The problem, as I stated in the other
thread on this issue, is that commercialization would kill the volunteer
support, yet not generate enough income to pay for the necessary
labor. The result would be the death of POV-Ray.

Harold

> Don't you think that PoV would loose users when turning to shareware?
> regards
> SY

Post a reply to this message