POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shortest code contest status Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Shortest code contest status (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Shortest code contest status
Date: 14 Feb 2002 21:49:22
Message: <3c6c7732@news.povray.org>
NUMBER OF ENTRIES
It's about 22, by about 9 different people so far. There are a few
landscapes, a few fractals, abstracts, even nature scenes-- mostly all
very original stuff.

DEADLINE
It will end February 28th.

VOTERS
I think that I'll make a web page where people will vote on their
favorite 5. Their favorite will get 5 points, next 4 and so on. I will
enter the contest but not vote (and not win).  I think that we can make
the voting "open"; in cases of suspicious activity we can reserve the
right to throw out email addresses that were not i) entrants ii)
post-ers to p.g in 2001; iii) post-ers to c.g.r.r in 2001.  Is anyone
willing to help me make a simple voting page (I know how to code HTML
forms myself--of the type that would generate 100 emails for 100 voters.
I'm wondering about an easy *tabulation* system, and don't necessarily
want to put new untested php text on 10best, but maybe that's silly. ).

VOTING BLIND
I think that one of the great cool things about the contest is that
people's work will be judged solely on how it looks, and not on
personalities or perception of how ingenious the code is. I want to keep
the contest a celebration of "efficiency" in this regard.   BUT now as I
look at some of the entries, I see some real creativity poured into the
description of the image.  I'm still inclined to make it a blind contest
but surely make the TXT files available after the voting is complete.

PRIZES
i) I want to keep the GRAND PRIZE to be the score/ bytes of text
squared.
ii) There will be another prize for just plain highest score within the
500 byte limit.
iii) I'm trying to figure out how to set up the third prize.  I wanted
it to go to the smallest entry "that people still like."  I did NOT want
to have someone enter black background (cough, cough) and win this prize
by voting for it themself.  I'm inclined to make some kind of
statistical judgement after the votes are in, but this might seem
arbitary and unfair.  I was thinking of the smallest entry to get two
first place votes, or what have you, but on the other hand, announcing
the criteria (and if it's cheezy) could introduce other problems as
well.  Hence a posting to this forum for advice.

Post a reply to this message

: I think that I'll make a web page where people will vote on their
: favorite 5. Their favorite will get 5 points, next 4 and so on.

  How will you avoid people voting for their own entries? I think that's a
bit unfair if it were possible.