POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : teacher needs help Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:57:52 EDT (-0400)
  teacher needs help (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: wrestler
Subject: teacher needs help
Date: 31 Jan 2002 19:36:07
Message: <3c59e2f7@news.povray.org>
I am teaching a high school graphics course and decided to include PovRay in
the class.  At the moment I am barely one step ahead of my students though.
We ran into a problem today that I can't figure out.  We needed to print
their pictures they created so I had them go to photoshop and then go to the
same place they saved the code for their scene and open the graphic file (is
there an easier way?)  The problem is that about a fourth of the class had
no graphic file, only the povray code file and some file with the same name
and the extension .bak.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this so they can find
the picture?  Is there an easier way to print?

Thanks a bunch,
Colin

Post a reply to this message

> I am teaching a high school graphics course and decided to include PovRay in
> the class.  At the moment I am barely one step ahead of my students though.
> We ran into a problem today that I can't figure out.  We needed to print
> their pictures they created so I had them go to photoshop and then go to the
> same place they saved the code for their scene and open the graphic file (is
> there an easier way?)  The problem is that about a fourth of the class had
> no graphic file, only the povray code file and some file with the same name
> and the extension .bak.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this so they can find
> the picture?  Is there an easier way to print?

I think you need to render the .POV file.  The .BAK is simply the
version closest to the latest .POV that gets renamed to that
extension upon a save of your POV file.

Your graphics file will most likely be a .TGA file (Targa).

What are you using to create the script files, hand coding them
or a modeler such as Moray?

-Peter

--
Current obsession: "Ballet pour ma fille."
http://www.applesnake.net

Post a reply to this message

We're just hand coding them.  We have rendered and rerendered them and still
can't find any type of graphic file.
Colin

"Dearmad" <dea### [at] applesnakenet> wrote in message
news:3C5### [at] applesnakenet...
> wrestler wrote:
>
> > I am teaching a high school graphics course and decided to include
PovRay in
> > the class.  At the moment I am barely one step ahead of my students
though.
> > We ran into a problem today that I can't figure out.  We needed to print
> > their pictures they created so I had them go to photoshop and then go to
the
> > same place they saved the code for their scene and open the graphic file
(is
> > there an easier way?)  The problem is that about a fourth of the class
had
> > no graphic file, only the povray code file and some file with the same
name
> > and the extension .bak.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this so they can
find
> > the picture?  Is there an easier way to print?
>

> I think you need to render the .POV file.  The .BAK is simply the
> version closest to the latest .POV that gets renamed to that
> extension upon a save of your POV file.
>
> Your graphics file will most likely be a .TGA file (Targa).
>
> What are you using to create the script files, hand coding them
> or a modeler such as Moray?
>
> -Peter
>

> > Thanks a bunch,
> > Colin
> >

> --
> Current obsession: "Ballet pour ma fille."
> http://www.applesnake.net

Post a reply to this message