POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update (Message 6 to 15 of 25)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 25 Jan 2002 18:49:48
Message: <chrishuff-D057FC.18511725012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <877### [at] bachcomposers>,
 Ole Laursen <ola### [at] hardworkingdk> wrote:

> Well, avoid GPL-incompatible licenses. :-)

The Clarified Artistic License is listed as "GPL compatible" on that
page.

From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 26 Jan 2002 04:42:43
Message: <3c527a13@news.povray.org>
> Ok, I remember reading something about this...I guess it was sitting at
> the back of my mind, bugging me while refusing to come forward. ;-)
> I'll probably go with the Artistic License, maybe the Clarified Artistic
> License...it seems very reasonable and straightforward.
> I'll avoid the GPL from now on, even if that clause gets removed. I
> don't trust people who would put that kind of thing in the license.

GPL is a cancerous waste pf space, its only real effect has been to stifle
3rd party Linux software. I don't think for one second it has stopped any
unscrupulous developer pinching open source code for inclusion in commercial
projects - afterall who would ever know

--

Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message
> > Ok, I remember reading something about this...I guess it was sitting at
> > the back of my mind, bugging me while refusing to come forward. ;-)
> > I'll probably go with the Artistic License, maybe the Clarified Artistic
> > License...it seems very reasonable and straightforward.
> > I'll avoid the GPL from now on, even if that clause gets removed. I
> > don't trust people who would put that kind of thing in the license.
>
> GPL is a cancerous waste pf space, its only real effect has been to stifle
> 3rd party Linux software. I don't think for one second it has stopped any
> unscrupulous developer pinching open source code for inclusion in
commercial
> projects - afterall who would ever know

GPL doesn't even say you can't - they just say you have to include a copy of
the GPL, and tell people where on the Internet they can download the same
thing for free.

...Chambers

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer.  If I am in error, please don't sue me.

Post a reply to this message