POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV@home Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:40 EDT (-0400)
  POV@home (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: jim
Subject: POV@home
Date: 14 Jan 2002 23:32:07
Message: <3c43b0c7$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I've been thinking about the possibility of creating a POV server that might
work like the SETI@HOME screen saver.  For those that don't know what that
is, its a screen saver that will download radio-astronomy signal data for
processing with spare CPU  cycles on idle machine around the world.

It would be really cool to have thousands of machines available to render a
full length feature that could be aired for charity or other public good.

As I'm new to this arena, I don't know which of the problems associated with
this have already been adressed but certainly, scene scheduling and the
whole management front end would be a big task.  But is seems doable as
evidenced by the distribution and collection of complex data accomplished by
the SETI project.

Has anyone thought of this?  I'd be interested in getting feedback on this
idea.   Who knows, maybe it could happen.

Regards,

Jim Karavias

Post a reply to this message