POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV to GIF? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  POV to GIF? (Message 31 to 40 of 65)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: POV to GIF?
Date: 19 Nov 2001 08:30:42
Message: <3bf90982@news.povray.org>
In article <3bf8f49c@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>  That's exactly why I'm amazed that most image manipulation softwares
> (including the top-of-the-line ones, like photoshop) do not have good
> support for color depths higher than 24 bits. Most don't have any support,
> some of them (eg. photoshop) have some support, but it's very limited (eg.
> most filters don't work in that mode).

Probably because printers won't deliver any better quality than that
resulting of four (or a few more) colors.  And given that PhotoShop and Co
have been design with the "real" world in mind, they don't bother with
different quality.  Keep in mind that when printing you usually get a better
quality if you have a high-resolution image with 'less' colors than a
low-resolution image with 'more' colors.  Or try it this way:  take any b&w
laser printer.  No matter what you do and even with the best setup a
grayscale image will not look better if you provide more than a 300dpi and
and more than about a 50 shades of gray.  Thus, why bother with the
additional information if it will be lost after output (the primary
application of these programs) in the first place?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde