POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Length along a spline Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Length along a spline (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Length along a spline
Date: 18 Oct 2001 02:22:00
Message: <3bce7508@news.povray.org>
"Trevor Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> In 3.5, you would define a spline as follows:
>
> #declare MySpline =
> spline {cubic_spline
>     -.25, <0,0,-1>
>     0.00, <1,0,0>
>     0.25, <0,0,1>
>     0.50, <-1,0,0>
>     0.75, <0,0,-1>
>     1.00, <1,0,0>
>     1.25, <0,0,1>
>   }
>
> And implement it using MySpline(val)
>
> Does val not indicate the position along the spline, i.e, 0.1 would be 10%
> along the length of the spline etc.?

No. MySpline(0.1) calculates the value of the spline where the spline
parameter=0.1
In your example the distances between each 'control point' is the same, but
consider the following

#declare MySpline=
 spline {
  cubic_spline
  -0.25, <0,0,0>
   0.00,<1,0,0>
   0.25,<2,0,0>
   0.50,<4,0,0>
   0.75,<8,0,0>
   1.00,<16,0,0>
   1.25,<32,0,0>
  }

In the above case MySpline(0.1) will give me a value of <1.249,0.000,0.000>
which
is definatly not 10% of the way along the spline

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza                *   Step into the abyss,           *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/   *   and let go.          Babylon 5 *
* Just think of me as the storm before the calm     Magic: The Gathering*

>   I would use Colefax's spline macros. It does that and a lot more.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/spline/index.html

I'll have a look at those. Thanks Warp