POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mathematician wanted! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  mathematician wanted! (Message 3 to 12 of 12)
From: marabou
Subject: Re: mathematician wanted!
Date: 4 Oct 2001 10:25:59
Message: <3bbc7177@news.povray.org>
sorry, but i don't know the english word for that i mean.
my string is metalic, i would say: it consists of cupper.
the scene looks like a student's barack.
and that is the reason why you can see the string.

Tom Melly wrote:

> Why do you need a curved string? A picture string would go /\ , wouldn't
> it? I would suggest two cylinders joined by a bit of a torus at the nail.
>
> Actually, I would suggest that generally the string is hidden by the
> picture anyway...

Post a reply to this message

> sorry, but i don't know the english word for that i mean.
> my string is metalic, i would say: it consists of cupper.
> the scene looks like a student's barack.
> and that is the reason why you can see the string.

Take a look at the include files by Chris Colefax. I think you will
find one that will take care of your problem for you.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> sorry, but i don't know the english word for that i mean.
> my string is metalic, i would say: it consists of cupper.
> the scene looks like a student's barack.
> and that is the reason why you can see the string.

Do you mean the picture isn't hanging up? - i.e. the string is a loop hanging
down?

Post a reply to this message

> Do you mean the picture isn't hanging up? - i.e. the string is a loop hanging
> down?

I think he is looking for a twisted cable. I have seen many poorly mounted
pictures where the wire cable was exposed above the top of the picture frame.
Given his description I believe that is the effect he is looking for.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> I think he is looking for a twisted cable. I have seen many poorly mounted
> pictures where the wire cable was exposed above the top of the picture frame.
> Given his description I believe that is the effect he is looking for.

Then I'm still confused - apart from where the wire loops over the nail, I don't
see where the curve would come in....

Post a reply to this message

> Take a look at the include files by Chris Colefax. I think you will
> find one that will take care of your problem for you.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

great link! it is a good template.
but i do not want to be introduced using someone's great include-files. my
point of interest is a little bit more the theory behind it.

Post a reply to this message

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
>>
>> I think he is looking for a twisted cable.

no, i do not look for it. i made a spiral yet.

> Then I'm still confused - apart from where the wire loops over the nail, I
> don't see where the curve would come in....
yes, that is the point.

Post a reply to this message

> > Then I'm still confused - apart from where the wire loops over the nail, I
> > don't see where the curve would come in....
> yes, that is the point.

So what have you got against a torus? I'm a torus, of course I'm on the cusp....

Post a reply to this message