POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed of light Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Speed of light (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Andrew
Subject: Speed of light
Date: 17 Sep 2001 19:35:45
Message: <3ba688d1$2@news.povray.org>
OK, here's an idea, if someone feels up to programming it.  How about
have a finite speed of light for use in animations?  The clock variable
would define "time" in the scene, and light would travel outwards at a
given speed from all the lights in the scene, illuminating things only
when the light had reached them and had enough time to travel back to
the camera.  Presumably, one would have to keep track of the distance a
particular ray would have "travelled", and check if it has had long
enough to reach the camera.

This could be used to very interesting effect in animations with a slow
speed of light.  A room illuminated by a few lights would gradually
light up, but then any mirrors in the room would begin to light up
later.  Also, moving objects would appear at different places in
mirrors.

I guess this wouldn't work too well with radiosity, though.

Post a reply to this message

> OK, here's an idea, if someone feels up to programming it.  How about
> have a finite speed of light for use in animations?  The clock variable
> would define "time" in the scene, and light would travel outwards at a
> given speed from all the lights in the scene, illuminating things only
> when the light had reached them and had enough time to travel back to
> the camera.  Presumably, one would have to keep track of the distance a
> particular ray would have "travelled", and check if it has had long
> enough to reach the camera.
>
> This could be used to very interesting effect in animations with a slow
> speed of light.  A room illuminated by a few lights would gradually
> light up, but then any mirrors in the room would begin to light up
> later.  Also, moving objects would appear at different places in
> mirrors.

You can do that with having fade_distance rely on the clock setting.

--
***** This was posted with the express permission of *****
** HIS HIGHNESS ADAM H KERMAN LORD AND MASTER OF USENET **

Post a reply to this message