POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Appeal for help with a basketball texture Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Appeal for help with a basketball texture (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Alan Holding
Subject: Appeal for help with a basketball texture
Date: 11 Jul 2001 20:00:00
Message: <3b4ce880@news.povray.org>
Hello, all.

I'm currently creating an isosurface basketball for an image I'm working on.
I know how to use pigments to displace the isosurface, but coming up with
the actual bumpmap for the ball is a pain.

Because I'm using spherical projection for the bump_map it keeps getting
'pinched' around the top and bottom - and it's driving me nuts as the ball
looks OK from the sides.  So, does anyone know of any image manipulation
software which will take a 'regular planar' type image I've already created
and turn it into a 'ready for spherical projection planar' type image.
Think of the image maps of the Earth you see where the image data gets
progressively stretched out as it nears the poles - that's the kind of
effect I need to create for the basketball.

Badly explained, but I hope someone catches my meaning.

And apologies if this is the wrong group.

Bye,
Alan.
--
ICQ 114025688