POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to do a aquarium - Heightfield / CSG / Isosurface? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  How to do a aquarium - Heightfield / CSG / Isosurface? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: John D  Gwinner
Subject: How to do a aquarium - Heightfield / CSG / Isosurface?
Date: 7 Jul 2001 12:36:24
Message: <3b473a88@news.povray.org>
Folks:

  I'm trying to figure out the best way to do an aquarium.  I want to show
the 'ripple pattern' of light moving across the top surface of the water.
This is a 'reef tank' and has high water flow.  I want this to be in effect
a clear block (withan IOR) with a 'wavy' top surface.  My goal is to put
some bright lights in the center where the 'hood' would be to show the
'glitter lines' tracing down through the turbulent top surface.

  I can get the look I want with MegaPOV and a heightfield using a pattern,
but this doens't do the refraction properly.  I've also considered an
Isosurface, but I need some variable 'noise' added to the ripples so that
they can 'move' across the tank.

  If anyone needs, I can post my heightfield attempts, but I'm not sure this
is the right apprach.

  Any suggestions?

        == John ==

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm trying to figure out the best way to do an aquarium.  I want to show
> the 'ripple pattern' of light moving across the top surface of the water.
> This is a 'reef tank' and has high water flow.  I want this to be in effect
> a clear block (withan IOR) with a 'wavy' top surface.  My goal is to put
> some bright lights in the center where the 'hood' would be to show the
> 'glitter lines' tracing down through the turbulent top surface.
>
>   I can get the look I want with MegaPOV and a heightfield using a pattern,
> but this doens't do the refraction properly.  I've also considered an
> Isosurface, but I need some variable 'noise' added to the ripples so that
> they can 'move' across the tank.
>
>   If anyone needs, I can post my heightfield attempts, but I'm not sure this
> is the right apprach.

Have you thought about using surface normals ? You can also feed an
isosurface function into a normal statement to modifiy the waveform
to your liking.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message