POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recording animations to miniDV: problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  recording animations to miniDV: problem (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Dennis Milller
Subject: recording animations to miniDV: problem
Date: 14 Mar 2001 21:30:32
Message: <3ab02948@news.povray.org>
I have a new Panasonic AG-DV1000 miniDV recorder that I'm using with two
different computer systems. The first system has a Belkin Firewire card and
Premiere 6. The second has a DPS PVR board that I'm connecting to the
Panasonic via the s-video connector and Premiere 5.1c. My images are all POV
animations. There are moments in several animations where the vertical hold
on my external (passing through the Panasonic) goes out of alignment. This
happens no matter which system I use; at the same point in the animation,
the vertical image shifts down a bit; sometimes for only a few frames, and
sometimes longer. This vertical alignment problem is also recorded when I
record; it's on the tape. Yet the animations are absolutely fine; I have
made dozens of VHS and SVHS copies and there is NO problem whatsoever at
those moments. I can also see them on my system display and again, no
problem. Yet even trying to copy a prerecorded SVHS tape of the animation to
the Panasonic displays the problem.

I have exchanged the Panasonic for a new deck, and the problem persists.
Tonight, I even created a new animation, previewed it via my analog (S-VHS)
deck, and all was well. But when I monitored on the Panasonic, I got a few
slipped frames.

So is it possible that I am seeing some artifact of digital video? Is it
possible that intense, color-saturated frames can be causing this problem?
Again, on dozens of analog tapes, there is no problem at all; none. It seems
that some of the program material just pushes the DV signal (codec?
hardware?) too far. It can;t be the MS codec because even prerecorded tapes
of the same material create the problem.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks much in advance.
Best,
Dennis