POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Doc bug - substr() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Doc bug - substr() (Message 31 to 35 of 35)
From: Mark Wagner
Subject: Re: Doc bug? #range - not a doc bug.
Date: 23 Feb 2001 23:54:20
Message: <3a973e7c@news.povray.org>
Is Cyclic_Animation turned on or off?

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 26 Feb 2001 12:13:11
Message: <3a9a8ea6@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2001 14:36:47 -0500, Geoff Wedig wrote:
>>funky things happen.  This has *long* been a standard.  If I were doing
>>dividing, where a small roundoff could have occured, then there might've
>>been some question, but in this case, we're dealing with integers added to
>>integers, albeit stored as floats.  I can't see why they'd conflict in this
>>fashion.  Or is POV doing something extremely funky with the clock?  I
>>suppose it's possible that rather than use the settings I gave it for
>>initial and final clock, it still does 0-1, but then multiplies it by the
>>difference and adds the initial_clock, to get the clock setting given to the
>>scene file, but that seems like a lot of work when the true values are right
>>there.

> That's what I thought it must be doing, too, at first, but I see now that
> it computes the clock delta and adds it for each frame.  The clock delta is
> given by (final_clock-initial_clock)/(final_frame-initial_frame), which
> should be exactly 1 unless you're using an old Pentium, but perhaps there's
> something funky about division that I don't understand.

May be.  I've not spent any time on it, figuring that it looked like a doc
problem, and even if it wasn't, the fix I used worked quite well, so why
worry too much about it?

Geoff

Post a reply to this message

From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 26 Feb 2001 12:13:34
Message: <3a9a8ebe@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> Is Cyclic_Animation turned on or off?

Dunno why that'd make a difference, but no, it wasn't.

Geoff

Post a reply to this message

On 26 Feb 2001 12:13:34 -0500, Geoff Wedig wrote:
>Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>
>> Is Cyclic_Animation turned on or off?
>
>Dunno why that'd make a difference, but no, it wasn't.

It makes a difference in the computation of clock_delta.  And you didn't
answer the question. :)

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2001 12:13:34 -0500, Geoff Wedig wrote:
>>Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>>
>>> Is Cyclic_Animation turned on or off?
>>
>>Dunno why that'd make a difference, but no, it wasn't.

> It makes a difference in the computation of clock_delta.  And you didn't
> answer the question. :)

Sorry, no, it wasn't turned on.  Better? ;)

Geoff