POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filled Height field Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Filled Height field (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Xilo Musimene
Subject: Re: Filled Height field
Date: 31 May 2003 16:46:11
Message: <3ED91492.2000209@hotpop.com>
> I doubt that...you avoided the coincidence problem by putting the box
> sides outside the height field, exactly the opposite of what will work,
> so you probably didn't even get the speckled sides at the back. Try
> following the instructions given. Jeez, I even gave you working example
> code...

I'm sorry Christopher, I did not understand what you were talking about
at first glance, though Mike Williams answered my question in p.b.images
and correct my mistake the exact way you were talking about, you were right.

> As explained, the height field is already a solid object, it just
> doesn't have sides. If you want solid sides instead of just the upper
> surface, you need to intersect it with a slightly smaller box so the
> sides of the box will be used. The plane you used doesn't have any
> surfaces that can be used for the sides, so intersecting with it will
> not work. In fact, it didn't have *any* surfaces that intersected the
> height field, so the only effect would have been to make the height
> field render slower. You could intersect with 4 planes perpendicular to
> the height field, one for each side, but this will be both slower and
> more work to set up.

I've succesfully intersected the hf with a box and everything is
perfectly in order now, thanks!

Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/