POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Accented TT fonts Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Accented TT fonts (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: François de Dardel
Subject: Accented TT fonts
Date: 10 May 2003 07:15:48
Message: <3EBCDF64.7070805@netscape.net>
Three TrueType fonts are given with POV, but accented characters are not

available therein. I have tried to use other TT fonts from my Macintosh,

but they produce errors.

Where can I find TT fonts that would have the right headers and tables
to be used in POV?
How can I write my name using POV Text feature?

http://mapage.noos.fr/dardelf/
Utilisez mon adresse sur noos seulement
Use only my noos e-mail

Post a reply to this message

> Three TrueType fonts are given with POV, but accented characters are not
> available therein. I have tried to use other TT fonts from my Macintosh,
> but they produce errors.
>
> Where can I find TT fonts that would have the right headers and tables
> to be used in POV?
> How can I write my name using POV Text feature?

You can find various fonts with nonstandard characters on:

http://www.slovo.info/unifonts.htm

Christoph

> > Three TrueType fonts are given with POV, but accented characters are not
> > available therein. I have tried to use other TT fonts from my Macintosh,
> > but they produce errors.
> >
> > Where can I find TT fonts that would have the right headers and tables
> > to be used in POV?
> > How can I write my name using POV Text feature?
>
> You can find various fonts with nonstandard characters on:
>
> http://www.slovo.info/unifonts.htm

See also section "6.11.6  Charset" in the docs.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>>>Three TrueType fonts are given with POV, but accented characters are n
ot
>>>available therein. I have tried to use other TT fonts from my Macintos
h,
>>>but they produce errors.
>>>
>>>Where can I find TT fonts that would have the right headers and tables

>>>to be used in POV?
>>>How can I write my name using POV Text feature?
>>
>>You can find various fonts with nonstandard characters on:
>>
>>http://www.slovo.info/unifonts.htm
>
> See also section "6.11.6  Charset" in the docs.

Thanks for the responses, I have tried several things:

1) Downloaded a new TTF from the above link (Vera Humana 95 Bold). Using

it, however, produces the same problem as with the 3 POV fonts:
"non-ASCII character replaced by space". It took me quite some time to

it did contain these characters. I can use the font in MegaPOV, but I
can't get it to accept the accented characters. Trying to use it in MS
Word, the accented characters are replaced by a "_" (underscore). I
repeat I am on a Macintosh, with MacOS 10.2.6.

2) I found the "Global_charset" item in the POV doc, but not in the
MacMegaPOV doc. I am using MacMegaPOV since yesterday because there is
no current POV for the Mac.
I inserted a Global_Charset command in my POV file:
	global_settings{charset ascii}
and got the same warning message as without this command:
"Non-ASCII character has been replaced by space character"
If I use
	global_settings{charset URF8}
I get
"Character 142 (0x8E) not found in Macintosh HD:Images:POV
files:Include:verahb:ttf"
and this time I get a rectangular box instead of a space. Same problem
with the timrom.ttf font.
If I use
	global_settings{charset sys}
I get
"Parse Error: cannot convert system specific text format to Unicode."

the Mac character palette, it has the Unicode number 00E9 and decimal
112, so it is not even the same as reported by POV.

What else can I try ? It looks like the fonts are not fully compatible
with the Mac OS, and I can't use the Mac OS specific fonts...