POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I design a dice ? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  How do I design a dice ? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: François de Dardel
Subject: How do I design a dice ?
Date: 8 May 2003 08:07:52
Message: <3EBA4897.5010106@netscape.net>
Is there a simple way, or shall I start with a cube and combine it with
cylinders at the edges and spheres at the corners ?

http://mapage.noos.fr/dardelf/
Utilisez mon adresse sur noos seulement
Use only my noos e-mail

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: How do I design a dice ?
Date: 8 May 2003 08:41:56
Message: <3EBA5094.1F5C7FFD@gmx.de>

> Is there a simple way, or shall I start with a cube and combine it with
> cylinders at the edges and spheres at the corners ?

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/261/#round_box_union

Christoph

From: Matti Karnaattu
Date: 8 May 2003 10:45:09
Message: <web.3eba6c6944d3a3a6bef0bd7d0@news.povray.org>
>Is there a simple way, or shall I start with a cube and combine it with
>cylinders at the edges and spheres at the corners ?

Depends what kind of corners you want. Maybe intersection of box and sphere
works.

Matti

Post a reply to this message

> >Is there a simple way, or shall I start with a cube and combine it with
> >cylinders at the edges and spheres at the corners ?
>
> Depends what kind of corners you want. Maybe intersection of box and
sphere
> works.
That's the way I think dices are shaped:
intersection {
  sphere {0,1}
  box {-1, 1 scale sqrt(2)/2 //box sides middles tangent to sphere
  }
 }

then you make a difference with spheres unions to place the dots

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 8 May 2003 13:39:04
Message: <ff5lbv00erqaltc24dtkter16fhdu37sv6@4ax.com>
On Thu, 8 May 2003 19:23:07 +0200, "Marc Jacquier" <jac### [at] wanadoofr>
wrote:
> That's the way I think dices are shaped:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgsch/gaming/concepts/about_dice_effects.htm
http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/dice.html
http://www.hoboes.com/html/NetLife/POV/Die10/
http://www.hoboes.com/html/NetLife/POV/Dice/

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: François de Dardel
Date: 8 May 2003 16:22:06
Message: <3EBABC6C.9010802@netscape.net>
ABX wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003 19:23:07 +0200, "Marc Jacquier" <jacquier.marc@wanad
oo.fr>
> wrote:
>>That's the way I think dices are shaped:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgsch/gaming/concepts/about_dice_effects.htm
> http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/dice.html
> http://www.hoboes.com/html/NetLife/POV/Die10/
> http://www.hoboes.com/html/NetLife/POV/Dice/

Thanks to all for very helpfule comments.

Sad to say, I realise now that my version 3.5.1 for Mac OS X has
expired, and no new version is presently available to download :-(

From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 8 May 2003 16:35:32
Message: <3ebabf94$1@news.povray.org>
Instead of CSG, try superellipsoid <0.1, 0.1> and you will be pleasantly
surprised.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Post a reply to this message

From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 15 May 2003 02:00:18
Message: <web.3ec32cd244d3a3a618ccf4f70@news.povray.org>
Sir Charles W. Shults III wrote:
>    Instead of CSG, try superellipsoid <0.1, 0.1> and you will be pleasantly
>surprised.

Yep. That's what I did when I made a dice a year or two ago. I used CSG of a
white superellipsoid for the dice body and difference of black (actually
dark grey) spheres for the dots.

Rohan _e_ii