POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc... (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Xilo Musimene
Subject: Re: Earth heightfield, colormaps, etc...
Date: 15 Apr 2003 22:58:25
Message: <3E9C398A.1040008@hotpop.com>
> I would have expected the land to be on the coast almost the same value
> as the sea, but there is a definite sharp change from light gray(sea) to
> dark gray(land), and that can be seen on all coasts...

Nevermind...  I fixed it...  after rereading again and again the
documentation, I found out that the sea area, has the value -9999 (no
data has been registered for the area)...  since the lowest plance on
earth is at -400 meters I think. This give a value of -30, so I just
changed all -9999 to 0 and BINGO!  I get a perfect heightfield of europe!

Though my program can only output a 8bit bmp...  I'll work out a way to
write a Grayscale PNG of 16bit!

See ya!
   Xilo

Post a reply to this message

> > I would have expected the land to be on the coast almost the same value
> > as the sea, but there is a definite sharp change from light gray(sea) to
> > dark gray(land), and that can be seen on all coasts...
>
> Nevermind...  I fixed it...  after rereading again and again the
> documentation, I found out that the sea area, has the value -9999 (no
> data has been registered for the area)...  since the lowest plance on
> earth is at -400 meters I think. This give a value of -30, so I just
> changed all -9999 to 0 and BINGO!  I get a perfect heightfield of europe!
>
> Though my program can only output a 8bit bmp...  I'll work out a way to
> write a Grayscale PNG of 16bit!
>
> See ya!
>    Xilo

Great, that's what I had to figure out too. It's obvious once you know
it... :)
And yes, a great part of the Netherlands is below sea level. I'm sitting
in such a pit now.

Post a reply to this message