POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a couple of wierd things happened Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:09:06 EDT (-0400)
  a couple of wierd things happened (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: James Taylor
Subject: a couple of wierd things happened
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:37:14
Message: <3d73f62a@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

While working on my IRTC entry I kept running into some weird behaviour, I
not seen in pov before - although I suspect it's more to do with my sloppy
coding than anything in pov.

1. When unioning or merging objects together like this:
    union{
        box{blah blah etc}
        sphere{blah...}
    }
I got an error message saying something like "no } found in union box found
instead"

2. I had disappearing objects - objects which I know are on camera, but
aren't rendered. Checking their location with min_extent and max_extent
shows they are where I think they should be. Drawing a box using the
bounding box from the extent calcs doesn't draw a box but the object that
disappeared.
i.e. like this:
    #local table = blah, blah etc
    #local MIN = min_extent(table);
    #local MAX = max_extent(table);
    object(table)
doesn't trace the table, but adding this line
    box{MIN,MAX pigment{Red} }
draws the table but not the red box.

confused yet?
jim

Post a reply to this message

> While working on my IRTC entry I kept running into some weird behaviour, I
> not seen in pov before - although I suspect it's more to do with my sloppy
> coding than anything in pov.
>
> 1. When unioning or merging objects together like this:
>     union{
>         box{blah blah etc}
>         sphere{blah...}
>     }
> I got an error message saying something like "no } found in union box found
> instead"

Those kinds of error messages are always about syntax problems on your part.
Likely a missing closing brace somewhere. Did you accidentally use a parenthesis
somewhere maybe? Or not close a pigment, texture or finish statement?

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

"James Taylor" <jim### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote in message
> Hi all,

> 2. I had disappearing objects - objects which I know are on camera, but
> aren't rendered. Checking their location with min_extent and max_extent

What sort of camera are you using? Objects can often disappear when using, iirc,
orthographic cams. It's not a bug, BTW, but you'd be better off getting an
explanation from someone more technically-minded than me.

Post a reply to this message

> While working on my IRTC entry I kept running into some weird behaviour, I
> not seen in pov before - although I suspect it's more to do with my sloppy
> coding than anything in pov.
>
> 1. When unioning or merging objects together like this:
>     union{
>         box{blah blah etc}
>         sphere{blah...}
>     }
> I got an error message saying something like "no } found in union box
found
> instead"

Try using "Ctrl-]" (in Windows) to trace your bracket pairings.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> Those kinds of error messages are always about syntax problems on your
part.
> Likely a missing closing brace somewhere. Did you accidentally use a
parenthesis
> somewhere maybe? Or not close a pigment, texture or finish statement?

yeah, first thing I checked - but commenting out the union and everything's
fine. THe only way round it I've found is to individually translate each
object that would have been in a union :(

jim

Post a reply to this message

"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> "James Taylor" <jim### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote in message

> What sort of camera are you using? Objects can often disappear when using,
iirc,
> orthographic cams. It's not a bug, BTW, but you'd be better off getting an
> explanation from someone more technically-minded than me.

just a regular perspective camera - i'll look into the probelm when I have
some time, the IRTC deadline was looming (didn't even start the final render
till 12.15am 1st sep) so it just got left as a quick fix.

jim