POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Jitter in radiosity? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Jitter in radiosity? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Felix Wiemann
Subject: Jitter in radiosity?
Date: 7 Jul 2002 06:51:05
Message: <3d281d17@news.povray.org>
Hi!

Are radiosity samples jittered?

I noticed during pretrace that the contours of the objects aren't really
straight, but I haven't found anything in the docs about it.

Btw, the effect doesn't disappear when I'm using -J.

Thanks in advance,
Felix Wiemann

Post a reply to this message

> I noticed during pretrace that the contours of the objects aren't really
> straight, but I haven't found anything in the docs about it.
>
> Btw, the effect doesn't disappear when I'm using -J.

It seems you confuse things a bit.  The pretrace rays are jittered
according to the aa settings, but the samples are not.  It would lead to
highly not reproducible and probably worse results.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 30 Jun. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> It seems you confuse things a bit.  The pretrace rays are jittered
> according to the aa settings, but the samples are not.  It would lead to
> highly not reproducible and probably worse results.

But even if I use -J the pretrace rays seem to be jittered. Or is this just
some inaccuracy?
--
Felix Wiemann

Post a reply to this message

> But even if I use -J the pretrace rays seem to be jittered. Or is this just
> some inaccuracy?

I don't know, what does happen if you use the mosaic preview without
radiosity?

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 30 Jun. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>> But even if I use -J the pretrace rays seem to be jittered. Or is this
>> just some inaccuracy?
>
> I don't know, what does happen if you use the mosaic preview without
> radiosity?

My beta is currently expired, but I never noticed this with mosaic preview
without radiosity (although I use mosaic preview very often).
--
Felix Wiemann