POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ray Intersection Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Ray Intersection (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Alastair Murray
Subject: Ray Intersection
Date: 30 Apr 2002 12:51:44
Message: <3ccecba0$1@news.povray.org>
What I need is to know the y coordinate of any particular <x,z> coordinate
of a height_field.

I thought this could maybe be done with the Trace macro but I think this is
only for spheres.

Anyone know how I may go about doing this?

Post a reply to this message

> What I need is to know the y coordinate of any particular <x,z> coordinate
> of a height_field.
>
> I thought this could maybe be done with the Trace macro but I think this is
> only for spheres.

Which leads to the question why you think 'trace()' is a macro and why it
should only work on spheres...

See: http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000139.html#6_1_4_6

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 26 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

I guess it has to do with the docs. When searching for trace, you
get the trace-macro from the SDL-Raytracer within POV,
not the trace() of POV.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Post a reply to this message

Regardless, I still need a way of knowing how the y-coordinate at any
particular point on a height field.

"Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> I guess it has to do with the docs. When searching for trace, you
> get the trace-macro from the SDL-Raytracer within POV,
> not the trace() of POV.
>
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
> > Alastair Murray wrote:
> > >
> > > What I need is to know the y coordinate of any particular <x,z>
coordinate
> > > of a height_field.
> > >
> > > I thought this could maybe be done with the Trace macro but I think
this is
> > > only for spheres.
> >
> > Which leads to the question why you think 'trace()' is a macro and why
it
> > should only work on spheres...
> >
> > See: http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000139.html#6_1_4_6
> >
> > Christoph