POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : concat for variable identifier? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:04 EDT (-0400)
  concat for variable identifier? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Sebastian H
Subject: concat for variable identifier?
Date: 3 Mar 2002 11:27:59
Message: <3C824F76.6050806@web.de>
Hi there
I got a question over here.

I got a database like this:

.
upper_axis = <x, y, z>;
upper_angle = a;
upper_pos = <x, y, z>

head_axis = <x, y, z>;
head_angle = a;
head_pos = <x,y,z>
.

Now I try to write a macro which only takes the argument "head" or "upper":

#macro (OBJ)
.
.
.
#end

Inside the macro should have access to OBJ_axis or OBJ_angle so I need a
  function like *concat (OBJ, "_axis")* that does not return a string
but the variable identifier.

Is this anyhow possible in POV?

Sebastian H.

Post a reply to this message

> Inside the macro should have access to OBJ_axis or OBJ_angle so I need a
>   function like *concat (OBJ, "_axis")* that does not return a string
> but the variable identifier.
>
> Is this anyhow possible in POV?

Two possibilities:

- use arrays for your data instead of single variables
- use the Parse_String() macro (Povray 3.5, strings.inc)

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,