POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Mega-Pov or V3.5? (Message 11 to 20 of 108)
From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
Date: 28 Jan 2002 21:45:03
Message: <3c560caf@news.povray.org>
>   Like pattern functions, fractal patterns with exponents >4, transmit
Aren't pattern functions part of MegaPov?

> behaviour outside the range 0-1,
they have changed the transmit behaviour outside the range 0-1 ???
:(
I liked it the way it was...

> support for reading JPEG and TIFF,
useful, but not reason enough to use 3.5 instead of MegaPov.  Not for me at least.

> unicode support, etc.
again: might be useful, but to me not reason enough to use 3.5

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Jan 2002 21:57:10
Message: <chrishuff-CC7192.21591928012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c560caf@news.povray.org>,
 "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> >   Like pattern functions, fractal patterns with exponents >4, transmit
> Aren't pattern functions part of MegaPov?

Those are function patterns. ;-)
In POV 3.5, you can make functions directly from patterns. In MegaPOV,
you have to use a pigment with a Black-White color_map.

Also, check out the additions to the standard includes...

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Dunn
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:16:08
Message: <3C5613BD.4B8FA532@aol.com>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> Adds many new features, which may or may not be useful to you.

Is this some "insider" joke? Let's take a look at what the "possibly not
useful" features are that didn't make it into the 3.5 self-incrementing
Beta (all of which work just fine thank you):

MegaPOV 0.7
Reflection blur - I've seen enough workarounds in these groups to know this
is needed.
Motion blur - okay, flawed, but certainly useful; I use it often.
Blinn microfacets - superior to specular highlights in every way.
Heightfield_height_at (no way trace works better on hfs, sorry).
Text object enhancements (why use a macro when you can just use this?).
Ini_option (why in the world was this removed?).
Mesh Type 2 (parsed much faster and came out smoother).
Glows (Ahem, Chris, didn't you write this one? ; } ).

POVMan
ClothSim (How is 3.5 better than this?)
Renderman-like Shaders (See falling star animations at p.b.a)

MegaPOV Plus
Particle_system (I know the author is around somewhere).

OK, there are a few things I like about 3.5 Beta+, like the easier
dispersion and improved functions (especially for isos), but, let's face
it, MegaPOV in general is more powerful. The true breakthroughs in 3.5 are
in the superior interface, with enhanced insert menu features, accessible
command line and better error control, but one could easily load MegaPOV
into the bin folder. That is, if you didn't have to keep downloading and
installing the new betas.

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:25:52
Message: <3c561640@news.povray.org>
> Those are function patterns. ;-)
> In POV 3.5, you can make functions directly from patterns. In MegaPOV,
> you have to use a pigment with a Black-White color_map.
and what's the difference (except for a slightly longer syntax)?

> Also, check out the additions to the standard includes...
hmmm, I've never used standard includes... So I'm not really interested in the
additions
:)

cu!

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:43:33
Message: <3c561a65$1@news.povray.org>
> MegaPOV 0.7
> Reflection blur - I've seen enough workarounds in these groups to know this
> is needed.
I don't use MegaPOV's reflection blur anymore since I know that the "workarounds"
(using
an average texture_map) gives much better results.  Only problem is when you're using
layered textures...

> Motion blur - okay, flawed, but certainly useful; I use it often.
The only time I really wanted motionblur, the effects were really ugly. :(

> Blinn microfacets - superior to specular highlights in every way.
never used them actually...

> Heightfield_height_at (no way trace works better on hfs, sorry).
trace is a more general approach.  I never used heightfield_height_at
Might be because it's longer than trace :)

> Ini_option (why in the world was this removed?).
ini-options have nothing to do with the scene-file.  They should indeed be separated.

> Mesh Type 2 (parsed much faster and came out smoother).
mesh2 ?  There's no mesh2 in POV3.5 ??
:(

> Glows (Ahem, Chris, didn't you write this one? ; } ).
I don't think glows are really useful.  They would be if you could block them with
other
objects.

> POVMan
yeah, POVMan rules! :)

> ClothSim (How is 3.5 better than this?)
never used it, but you're absolutely right: cloth simulation is a nice thing to have
:)

> Renderman-like Shaders (See falling star animations at p.b.a)
tnx for mentioning my animation :)
And again: POVMan rules!!! :)

> MegaPOV Plus
hmmm, what's new in MegaPOV Plus?

> OK, there are a few things I like about 3.5 Beta+, like the easier
> dispersion and improved functions (especially for isos), but, let's face
> it, MegaPOV in general is more powerful. The true breakthroughs in 3.5 are
> in the superior interface, with enhanced insert menu features, accessible
> command line and better error control, but one could easily load MegaPOV
> into the bin folder. That is, if you didn't have to keep downloading and
> installing the new betas.
I almost never use the insert menu, and I'm happy with the ini-settings in POV-Ray
3.1...

I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of time.  The
POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will have to be
redone.  What's the point?

Maybe I'm just tired.  I've been awake for 17 hours :)

cu!

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 29 Jan 2002 01:29:28
Message: <3c564148@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote in message
> I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of
time.  The
> POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
> I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will
have to be
> redone.  What's the point?

POV3.5's a big improvement, IMHO.  I no longer even touch MegaPOV or 3.1 :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 29 Jan 2002 02:55:54
Message: <3c56558a@news.povray.org>
> >   Like pattern functions, fractal patterns with exponents >4, transmit
> Aren't pattern functions part of MegaPov?
>
> > behaviour outside the range 0-1,
> they have changed the transmit behaviour outside the range 0-1 ???
> :(
> I liked it the way it was...
>
> > support for reading JPEG and TIFF,
> useful, but not reason enough to use 3.5 instead of MegaPov.  Not for me at
least.

> > unicode support, etc.
> again: might be useful, but to me not reason enough to use 3.5
>
> cu!
> --
> camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
> ;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1
> ;#end#end L(y-x,y,x,x+y)L(y,-x-y,x+y,y)L(-x-y,-y,y,y+z)L(-y,y,y+z,x+y)L(0,x+y,
> <.5,1,.5>,x)L(0,x-y,<.5,1,.5>,x)               // ZK http://www.povplace.be.tf

object{MyObject finish{reflection{<.1,.2,.3>,<.5,.6,.7> falloff 3}}}

MegaPov wouldn't parse a scene in which I used variable reflections...

Does MegaPov have average patterns? I don't remember any, but I've never really
fully gone through the docs either.

--
#local X=20*<-2,2,5>;sphere_sweep{catmull_rom_spline 6<-8,-8>1<-8,-8>1<-8,8>1<
8,-8>1<8,8>1<8,8>1translate 20*z pigment{gradient z scale 3color_map{[0rgb<0,9

---

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Jan 2002 05:14:33
Message: <3c567609@news.povray.org>
In article <3c561a65$1@news.povray.org> , "Zeger Knaepen"
<zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of
> time.  The POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.

To make one thing absolutely clear, and this is not only to you but also some
others in this thread:
You have no, I repeat no, business to tell us how we spend our time!!!  If we
would make a POV-Ray 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9, it would be our decision to do so
and you would have no business telling us to not to do it!

The POV-Team is not going to justify any design decisions for POV-Ray 3.5.
There is a reason for everything, and if you are not willing to understand
this, it is your problem alone.  If you don't like POV-Ray 3.5 fine, then
don't use it and quit whining and wasting the time of everybody else!

Thank you for your attention,

    Thorsten Froehlich

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

From: Alan Kong
Date: 29 Jan 2002 05:19:15
Message: <fftc5ukc6en2du60rfhoc0ohq99hsi2usd@4ax.com>
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:25:26 +0100 Zeger Knaepen wrote:

>> Also, check out the additions to the standard includes...
>hmmm, I've never used standard includes... So I'm not really interested in the
additions
>:)

>> unicode support, etc.
>again: might be useful, but to me not reason enough to use 3.5

  How about if we paid you? ;)

--
Alan
ako### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

From: Hugo
Date: 29 Jan 2002 06:05:15
Message: <3c5681eb$1@news.povray.org>
> I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of
time.  The
> POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
> I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will
have to be
> redone.  What's the point?

Uh oh.. Such comments are not gladly seen by the Pov-team, and I hope you
understand why.. Pov3.5 is their baby.. Well, I think ... surely Pov3.5 is
not a waste of time, you see, it cleans up all the features in Megapov. The
coders do their best to clean Povray - both the source code and SDL - so
that future coders will be able to understand what's going on in Pov and
easily move forwards from that point, to make further improvements.

Pov3.5 takes the best of Megapov, remove the bugs, and makes it the official
version from which all future versions will be build.. I don't see why
Pov4.0 should be a complete rewrite.. Anyway, making Pov3.5 first, is the
logical way to go.. It's like to climp up the stairs, instead of trying to
jump to the top.

> Maybe I'm just tired.  I've been awake for 17 hours :)

Okay, then I would definetely be tired.. Hope you had some rest, when you
read this..  :o)  Peace..

Regards,
Hugo