POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Handedness Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Handedness (Message 31 to 33 of 33)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: Handedness
Date: 5 Dec 2001 17:08:03
Message: <pb5t0u8qmfln8sdul7bnitq83rfct3mf27@4ax.com>
On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:06:15 -0500, "Timothy R. Cook"
<tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote:

>I still don't quite get why math (and hence POV) 3D coords use
>left-hand rule; apart from most people being right-handed, CAD
>programs use right-hand, being based on architectural design which
>draws a floorplan along the XY plane with Z being the elevation,
>which is what you get when you draw a floorplan on a standard
>cartesian grid with 0,0 being the origin in the lower-left.

3D computer graphics were first employed in maths where x points to
the right and y up (as on a blackboard, drawing board etc.) The
direction of z was chosen the way it is (away from user) so that with
the origin in the lower-left corner, all coordinates of visible points
in pseudo-perspective (axonometry?) are positive, therefore easier to
deal with.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

> I still don't quite get why math (and hence POV) 3D coords use
> left-hand rule; apart from most people being right-handed, CAD
> programs use right-hand, being based on architectural design which
> draws a floorplan along the XY plane with Z being the elevation,
> which is what you get when you draw a floorplan on a standard
> cartesian grid with 0,0 being the origin in the lower-left.

While working on my modeller I briefly toyed with the idea of
expressing all coordinates in <right,up,forward> and make the
handness an issue for file exporting.  I'm back with left-handed
<x,y,z> code for now.  If it isn't too difficult I'll make the
handedness a user option.

Regards,
John

--