POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating Water Height Field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Creating Water Height Field (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Davey B
Subject: Creating Water Height Field
Date: 27 Nov 2001 13:42:16
Message: <3c03de88@news.povray.org>
Hi

Im after a way to create some nice realistic wavey water using a height
field. I have experimented with bozo patterns etc to create the black and
white picture for use within a height field with limited results. Any hits
and tips would be appreciated.

Davey B

Post a reply to this message

 > Im after a way to create some nice realistic wavey water using a
 > height field. I have experimented with bozo patterns etc to create
 > the black and white picture for use within a height field with
 > limited results. Any hits and tips would be appreciated.

  Do not use only one pattern. Try using a pigment_map of several
patterns (2 or 3) for the b&w image, with different scaling and
turbulence parameters. Also, if using the new 3.5 beta, try the function
image pattern, very handy to avoid external b&w files.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Im after a way to create some nice realistic wavey water using a height
> field. I have experimented with bozo patterns etc to create the black and
> white picture for use within a height field with limited results. Any hits
> and tips would be appreciated.

If you're not afraid of a modest parse time you could check p.b.s-f.
Christoph
Hormann posted a function that is quite easily converted into a hf with
height_field { function n,n { } }. there are some recently posted anims and
a pic
in the binaries groups.

-Jide