POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : These look seriously impressive ! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  These look seriously impressive ! (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: stefkeB
Subject: Re: These look seriously impressive !
Date: 24 Oct 2001 05:00:54
Message: <3bd68346$1@news.povray.org>
Virtualight
is $50 for one year when used educationally or commericial. It is free for
personal use. A Maya plugin is almost ready and the MAX plugin is being
worked on. They will probably have the same price. You can convert a
3DS-file to Vlight, but then some editing is required. (POV-users are
usually very good at this). There is also a script for MAX4 to allow the
scene to be exported and converted and rendered from within MAX. This script
contains a material editor (integrated in the MAX material editor).
So basically: a cheap rendering engine and with the possibility to code by
hand. Good at global illumination & radiosity but still not with the same
amount of software support as POV-Ray... This is a one-man-project.
Check news://news.3dvf.net/virtualight_US

Lightflow
Apart from seeming dead, it is supported by 3DWin. Scenes that are too large
can't get rendered because of Python 1.5 limitations. No new versions seem
to come...

"Adrien Beau" <adr### [at] freefr> wrote in message
> Dave Dunn wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, that's interesting. I have not seen links to any modelers on either
> > of those sites, nor have I seen any (freeware or shareware) modelers
> > that write to their respective formats.
>
> Well, I have read both sites, and it is explicitely mentionned
> in several places (perhaps there are no links, though). In fact,
> their whole business plan lies there.
>
> Both packages feature integration (sometimes a work in progress)
> to Maya and 3D Studio, and some work in the Blender area.
>
> > I would be most interested in
> > knowing which modelers write to these renderers as I have not yet
> > deleted them.
>
> I have not checked the details, but I'm not sure the Maya
> or 3D Studio plugins are free. That's the whole idea: you
> can try the rendering engine for free, you can even use it

> want to do professionnal modeller-based work, please pay.
>

> --
> Adrien Beau   adr### [at] freefr   http://adrien.beau.free.fr/

Post a reply to this message