POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making an archway Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  making an archway (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Ross Litscher
Subject: making an archway
Date: 17 Oct 2001 20:39:29
Message: <3bce24c1$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, so i've got this image, and i was hoping to do a difference of the
back wall (a union of these mesh bricks) with a cylinder-cube union to cut
away the wall, leaving an archway. now the bricks in the wall are individual
bricks, not a texture. the original brick was a rounded cube kind of thing i
made in Ray Dream, then exported with 3dWin4 to pov format.

i tried the difference, getting a warning message about patches not usable
in intersections, but it proceeded to start rendering. at an insanely slow
rate. So i was wondering, is there a way to keep the brick as a mesh, and
use the cylinder-cube union object in some way to dictate where not to place
a brick?

on the other hand, if i use a regular primitive box object instead of a mesh
for the bricks, i could do a difference that would be more successfull (in
terms of rendering speed), right?

i've posted the image in the binaries.images group for reference under the
"making an archway" subject. i'm using the 3.5 beta verison of povray.

thanks,
ross

Post a reply to this message

> So i was wondering, is there a way to keep the brick as a mesh,
> and use the cylinder-cube union object in some way to dictate
> where not to place a brick?

If you're going to do it the hard way, why don't you do it the
hard way and just manually place the bricks, leaving them out
where they need to be left out? ;)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

Post a reply to this message

personalized coordinates for each brick? sounds like a good idea! ;)

macro's, while loops... who needs em! anyway, someone said something
about trace(), so i'm gonna look into that.

Timothy R. Cook wrote:

> If you're going to do it the hard way, why don't you do it the
> hard way and just manually place the bricks, leaving them out
> where they need to be left out? ;)

Post a reply to this message

> personalized coordinates for each brick? sounds like a good
> idea! ;)
> macro's, while loops... who needs em! anyway, someone said
> something about trace(), so i'm gonna look into that.

Sadly enough, manually placing each brick is how I would
accomplish the task if I was using individual bricks, since
I don't hand-code my scenes...;)
--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

Post a reply to this message

this whole thing started out as a test of using stuff modeled in
Raydream, and now is an excercise in bettering my hand coding skills.
Which suck :)

Timothy R. Cook wrote:
> Ross Litscher wrote:
>
>>personalized coordinates for each brick? sounds like a good
>>idea! ;)
>>macro's, while loops... who needs em! anyway, someone said
>>something about trace(), so i'm gonna look into that.
>>

> Sadly enough, manually placing each brick is how I would
> accomplish the task if I was using individual bricks, since
> I don't hand-code my scenes...;)

Post a reply to this message