POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: binary help Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: binary help (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Re: binary help
Date: 4 Oct 2001 23:34:08
Message: <3bbd2a30$1@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote :

> Followup set to povray.general.

    Oooo... twice so far in the history of p.o.t.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Date: 5 Oct 2001 04:52:41
Message: <3bbd74d9@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

<snip>

Nice - but like my perl solution and bob's windows solution, it doesn't deal
with fractions (I know, I know, I never mentioned that - sorry).

Actually I got mine to deal with simple fractions, such as 0.5 and 0.25 etc. and
I THINK I now know how to deal with more fiddly ones. I think I keep doubling it
until the fractional part is either negligble in comparison to the integer part,
or until it disappears...

Post a reply to this message

> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> Nice - but like my perl solution and bob's windows solution, it doesn't deal
> with fractions (I know, I know, I never mentioned that - sorry).
>
> Actually I got mine to deal with simple fractions, such as 0.5 and 0.25 etc. and
> I THINK I now know how to deal with more fiddly ones. I think I keep doubling it
> until the fractional part is either negligble in comparison to the integer part,
> or until it disappears...

That sounds like a working strategy.

But maybe this page does what you need ?

http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/courses/cs341/IEEE-754.html

"IEEE-754 Floating-Point Conversion
From Decimal Floating-Point
To 32-bit and 64-bit Hexadecimal Representations
Along with Their Binary Equivalents"

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

> That sounds like a working strategy.

It does? Wow!

> But maybe this page does what you need ?
>
> http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/courses/cs341/IEEE-754.html

Looks like it - many thanks...