POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : more realistic attenuation in 3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  more realistic attenuation in 3.5? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Niels Boehm
Subject: more realistic attenuation in 3.5?
Date: 7 Sep 2001 17:59:19
Message: <Pine.OSF.3.96.1010907234946.1596A-100000@paxp12.mipool.uni-jena.de>
Hello,

i have been wondering whether the recent 3.5 version of POVray
features a different attenuation formula in comparison to 3.1a
(that's the version i have) ...
Well, actually, the formula in 3.1a is not bad, as it approximates
reality quite well, but it is not 100% correct ... it should be an
exponential decay - something like Inew = Iold * (e ** (- k * d)),
with e = 2.718.., ** = power, k = constant determining the strength
of attenuation, d = distance the ray had to take through the medium -
instead, shouldn't it?

Regards,

Post a reply to this message

"Niels Boehm" <boh### [at] minetuni-jenade> wrote in message
news:Pin### [at] paxp12mipooluni-jenade...

i have been wondering whether the recent 3.5 version of POVray
features a different attenuation formula in comparison to 3.1a
(that's the version i have) ...

It has carried over the "more realistic attenuation" from MegaPOV 0.7.
Use it by specifying a number of 1000 or greater for 'fade_power'.

Well, actually, the formula in 3.1a is not bad, as it approximates
reality quite well, but it is not 100% correct ... it should be an
exponential decay - something like Inew = Iold * (e ** (- k * d)),
with e = 2.718.., ** = power, k = constant determining the strength
of attenuation, d = distance the ray had to take through the medium -
instead, shouldn't it?

Don't ask me.  ;-)
The doc says:  Attenuation = exp(-depth/fade_dist)
However, that's only for 'interior' and not for lights.  Light sources still
only use the usual linear, quadratic, etc., fading.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message