POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixel Dimensions and skewed images, what is real? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Pixel Dimensions and skewed images, what is real? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Chad Kruger
Subject: Pixel Dimensions and skewed images, what is real?
Date: 19 Jul 2001 22:59:02
Message: <3B5782D9.424CC774@telusplanet.net>
Hi,

I was playing around with the output dimensions in QUICKRES.INI and ran
a few tests which brought to light a few questions:

1)   Since it looks as if the same amount of information (as far as
camera angle of the scene) is being put into the output file no matter
what pixel dimensions you specify (as in, this has no effect on the
cropping or changing the camera angle in your scene), if you change from
the defaults to a more vertical or horizontal shape, why is my image
being skewed?

2)  Using the answer to question 1) as a rule of thumb, what pixel
dimension ratios should I use for the most accurate sampling (not at all
skewed from what it should look like) of the scene I have input to
POV-Ray?  Would it be the defaults, 512x384, 640x480, 800x600, etc.
(which are based on standard screen resolution which, of course, is
messed up anyway [a square on your computer screen does not look like a
square]) or a square output from POV-Ray, which wasn't all that bad when
I tried it.  Would this be at all accurate?

ANY input or explanation on the math would be useful.

Thank you.

- CK

Post a reply to this message

Short answer would be to look into using the aspect ratio keywords, 'right'
and 'up'.  When you tie those in with your resolutions you will get
non-skewed images.
Far as a long answer goes, I couldn't say.  However, the math is as easy as
dividing the width by the height, i.e. 640/480=1.33333333 (or 4/3), so that
right 4/3*x and up 1*y make it match the resolution chosen.  Any changes to
resolution would need the ratios of right to up changed in the camera as
well.

Bob H.