POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wireframe Modeler Emulator Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Wireframe Modeler Emulator (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Dave Dunn
Subject: Wireframe Modeler Emulator
Date: 2 Jul 2001 12:32:18
Message: <3B40A24C.1CEE02C9@aol.com>
Hello everyone. I am currently working on a wireframe modeler emulator
that runs as a set of includes within MegaPOV (I tried doing it with
macros, but frankly, I think includes give you better access to
variables and declarations). The main POV file lets you choose between
five views: Front, Top, Side, Wireframe Camera, and Render. I just
started working on it, so it only handles the main primitives as
wireframes for now (although any object will show up in the gridded
enviornment). So far, so good. My problem is that I am trying to find a
way to rotate my wireframe camera object so that it faces the look_at
point. I know it is something simple, but I just can't figure it out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> Hello everyone. I am currently working on a wireframe modeler emulator
> that runs as a set of includes within MegaPOV (I tried doing it with
> macros, but frankly, I think includes give you better access to
> variables and declarations). The main POV file lets you choose between
> five views: Front, Top, Side, Wireframe Camera, and Render. I just
> started working on it, so it only handles the main primitives as
> wireframes for now (although any object will show up in the gridded
> enviornment). So far, so good. My problem is that I am trying to find a
> way to rotate my wireframe camera object so that it faces the look_at
> point. I know it is something simple, but I just can't figure it out.

~~~ to Dave.  Hi Dave.
Saw your e-mail and I went looking but I couldn't find the original file, only one I
used such a
thing in.  I'm fairly certain it was done by Lewis Sellers and put somewhere like
povray.text.scene-files or the binaries group.
Here it is:

// Lewis Sellers' constant object in camera view script

#declare Text_texture = texture {pigment {rgb <.3,1,.9>*.8}
finish {ambient .9 diffuse .1}}

 #local CamE = <0,0,0>; //where the camera's look_at is
 #local CamL = <0,0,-50>; //where the camera's location is
 #local CamZ = 1.67; //the amount of camera zoom you want

 #local CamD = vnormalize(CamE-CamL);
 #local CamR = vnormalize(vcross(y,CamD));
 #local CamU = vnormalize(vcross(CamD,CamR));

 text { ttf "cyrvetic.ttf","TEST Text",.25,0
   texture { Text_texture }
   scale .15 // added?
   translate <-.45,-.06,CamZ>  // added, changed?
   matrix < CamR.x,CamR.y,CamR.z,
            CamU.x,CamU.y,CamU.z,
            CamD.x,CamD.y,CamD.z,
            CamL.x,CamL.y,CamL.z >
 }

 camera {
   location CamL
   up CamU*.25 // changed?
   right CamR*4/3*1 // ?
   direction CamD*CamZ
   look_at CamE
 }

No doubt this has been muddled a bit by me but I think it's still basically the same
as originally
was.  And it should be what you're asking about, works in a way that sounds like your
description.
Far as being "simple", I'll leave that up to you to judge.

Bob H.