POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ideal raytracer hardware? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Ideal raytracer hardware? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: October
Subject: Ideal raytracer hardware?
Date: 12 Feb 2001 12:59:35
Message: <3a882487@news.povray.org>
I know that linux supposedly renders faster than windoze, that bus speed is
important, that the graphics card doesn't seem to effect render speed, etc.
The reason I post this is due to the fact that affordable hardware solutions
have increased in number in recent years and I'm considering purchasing a
second machine with raytracing in mind.  Within reason, what are some of the
better PC configurations for this?

 What hardware components have the best cost vs. improvement of render speed
ratio?

A big athlon or pIV?  Dual processors?  Bus speed?  Lots of extra ram?

In essence, where is my money best spent, for raytracing?

Post a reply to this message

> I know that linux supposedly renders faster than windoze, that bus speed is
> important, that the graphics card doesn't seem to effect render speed, etc.
> The reason I post this is due to the fact that affordable hardware solutions
> have increased in number in recent years and I'm considering purchasing a
> second machine with raytracing in mind.  Within reason, what are some of the
> better PC configurations for this?
>
>  What hardware components have the best cost vs. improvement of render speed
> ratio?
>
> A big athlon or pIV?  Dual processors?  Bus speed?  Lots of extra ram?
>
> In essence, where is my money best spent, for raytracing?

There was a lot of discussion in the past about this topic, what hardware
is most effective really depends on your needs, in general you can say
that a fast FPU is very important.  Memory requirements much depend on the
scenes you are rendering.  For details esp. concerning the P4 vs. Athlon
topic you should look up the old postings in this group.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>