POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intel plans to use Pov Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Intel plans to use Pov (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Intel plans to use Pov
Date: 17 Jan 2001 14:00:52
Message: <3A65EBB7.9B7540BA@inapg.inra.fr>
This is possibly a scoop :

Intel plans to run demos that would use POV-Ray (and possibly Megapov)
at the next LinuxWorld (in New York, Jan 29-Feb 2). The idea is to
demonstrate the speed of their Intel "Alpha" Linux Compiler on a P4 at
1.5 Gz.

In fact, they contacted me because they wanted to use my "Wet Bird" IRTC
pic for the demo, expecting it to render in 5 minutes (something that
Moore's Law don't agree with unfortunately). Very probably, they'll
contact the POV-Team and/or Nathan Kopp about compiling POV/Megapov in
an optimal way. (they also agreed for me to report this here, BTW).

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

> Intel plans to run demos that would use POV-Ray (and possibly Megapov)
> at the next LinuxWorld (in New York, Jan 29-Feb 2). The idea is to
> demonstrate the speed of their Intel "Alpha" Linux Compiler on a P4 at
> 1.5 Gz.
>
> In fact, they contacted me because they wanted to use my "Wet Bird" IRTC
> pic for the demo, expecting it to render in 5 minutes (something that
> Moore's Law don't agree with unfortunately). Very probably, they'll
> contact the POV-Team and/or Nathan Kopp about compiling POV/Megapov in
> an optimal way. (they also agreed for me to report this here, BTW).
>
> G.

That's interesting, because the P4 compares quite badly to AMD's Athlon
when used with Povray.  See my posting: