POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Efficient Motion Blur Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Efficient Motion Blur (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rune
Subject: Efficient Motion Blur
Date: 18 Oct 2000 08:30:00
Message: <39ed97c8@news.povray.org>
How do you make motion blur in animations as fast as possible?

I have studied that problem a little and here's what I've come up with.

Well, there's two ways to make motion blur.

The internal method is to use MegaPOV's motion blur.
The external method is to use a program to average the frames outputted by
POV-Ray.

What is more efficient (faster)?

If you want to use realistic motion blur, the internal method is always
faster. For realistic motion blur the motion blur clock_delta is never
bigger than POV-Ray's clock_delta.

It's a good idea to use this set-up:

global_settings { motion_blur SAMPLES, clock_delta*(1-1/SAMPLES) }

However, sometimes instead of using realistic motion blur, you want to
exaggerate the effect. In that case, what is faster?

If you want to use exaggerated motion blur it's fastest to use a combination
of internal and external motion blur.

For the internal motion blur, use the same set-up I've described for
realistic motion blur. (You don't need to use a higher frame-rate than you
would have used without motion blur.)
Then, after the animation is rendered, you can exaggerate the blur effect by
using the external motion blur method. If you use the set-up I've described,
the trails of motion blur from the different frames will match up
seamlessly.

The only limitation of this method is that you can only exaggerate the
effect by a multiple of the clock_delta. (You can only make the blur twice
as strong, 3 times as strong, 4 times as strong etc., but not 1.6 times as
strong.) But that isn't really a big problem I think...

Hope you find this useful!

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated October 9)