POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed is nice. :) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Speed is nice. :) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: ian mcdonald
Subject: Speed is nice. :)
Date: 15 Oct 2000 17:42:41
Message: <39ea24d1@news.povray.org>
Yesterday I got a new computer, HP 9780c.
It has a 60gb drive and an Athlon 900mhz processor, and 32mb vid RAM.

It rendered the PovBench skyvase scene file under windows with some TSRs
present in 32seconds. A full 77 seconds faster than my old HP 8370.

Scattering Media renders very quickly. :)

I would like a quad processor version of this, with 512mb of 200mhz ram, and
a specially adjusted quad processor MegaPOV. :)

I hear AMD still has not implemented on die FPU, or do I think of something
else?

Just a random note expressing happiness on my part (A truly rare thing).
ian

Post a reply to this message

> It rendered the PovBench skyvase scene file under windows with some TSRs
> present in 32seconds. A full 77 seconds faster than my old HP 8370.

You could probably tweak it some more. I get 00:31 with a 880 MHz Athlon/Duron
under Windows, and 00:25 under Linux :)

> I hear AMD still has not implemented on die FPU, or do I think of something
> else?

All AMD & Intel processors have had a built-in FPU for a long time. But before
Athlon, AMD had relatively poor FPU architecture. That is no longer the case.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee