POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bounding objects Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  bounding objects (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Abe Heckenbach
Subject: bounding objects
Date: 8 Oct 2000 14:51:16
Message: <39E0C35F.90E4B7F3@vrml.k12.la.us>
hey, how is everyone??

	I have been thinking about alternate ways to trace rays, but I don't
know enough about how the whole bounding slabs hierarchy thing works.
could someone give me short(or long:) description of how it works, if it
not the same as what I think it is:

	objects are grouped in a tree structure, according to pos. using slabs.
then, to find which object any given ray intersects, it must progress
down the tree until it finds it; like if there are 5 obj. grps. at the
top level, it will check everyone to see if it intersects. if it finds
one it simple progress down the tree. the part I'm not clear on(i think)
is what it does for example if 2 grp. are interested: must it then
intersect every obj. in both of those groups, does it start with the
closer one?

any info is appreciated, I've already read 3 books on raytracing and
such, with no info to clarify this.

also, I had an idea kinda similar to Avro & kirk's ray space
subdivision, can anyone tell me if its used at all, and why its not, if
its not.

thanks,

	Abe Heckenbach(abe### [at] vrmlk12laus)