POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : little question... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:05:54 EDT (-0400)
  little question... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Darth Sylvax
Subject: little question...
Date: 23 Aug 2000 21:14:30
Message: <39a476f6@news.povray.org>
Hello,

what are the differences between Pov Ray & BMRT ?

S.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: little question...
Date: 23 Aug 2000 22:41:07
Message: <chrishuff-C159DF.21423123082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a476f6@news.povray.org>, "Darth Sylvax"
<dar### [at] freefr> wrote:

> what are the differences between Pov Ray & BMRT ?

In which areas?

1) POV-Ray is freeware, BMRT is shareware (though free for
academic/non-commercial use).

2) POV-Ray is officially supported on many platforms, has unofficial
compiles for many others, and can easily be compiled for most others.
BMRT is only available for a few platforms.

3) POV-Ray traces mathematical primitives directly, without tesselating
them into triangles. I could be wrong, but I believe BMRT tesselates
primitives first. This means you can get "facets" on curved surfaces if
you don't use enough triangles, and memory consumption is higher.

4) I'm not sure, but I think POV-Ray supports many more primitives than
BMRT. However, BMRT supports NURBS objects(Non Uniform Rational Bezier
Spline, a commonly used primitive for organic shapes), which POV does
not directly support.

5) POV-Ray uses patterns, blend maps, and other texture attributes to
texture objects. BMRT uses "shaders", which allow the user to program
the exact method to use for texture calculation, but have a harder
learning curve. Note: there is a POV patch which adds shaders, but work
on it is still in progress.

6) Related to the #2 and #5: there are several unofficial compiles
adding language and rendering features, such as isosurfaces, shaders,
new patterns, media enhancements, etc. I do not think there are
equivalents for BMRT.

7) BMRT uses the RenderMan language specification for scenes, including
shaders, POV has it's own scene description language.

8) BMRT supports displacement mapping, POV does not.(at least, not
directly)

And various other things...there is a POV version that has photon
mapping, which as far as I know isn't done by BMRT, etc.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message