POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D file format comparison Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  3D file format comparison (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Doug Eichenberg
Subject: 3D file format comparison
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:07:32
Message: <397383a4$1@news.povray.org>
Just for the heck of it, I took the TrueSpace .cob file for the Gila monster
I used last round in the IRTC and converted it into a number of different
formats.  Here's how they compare in size:

Strata StudioPro (.vis)         1.29M
3D Studio          (.3ds)        1.35M
TrueSpace         (.cob)        1.88M
Imagine              (.iob)         2.64M
DirectX              (.x)            2.75M
Renderman         (.rib)         3.64M
VRML               (.wrl)         4.67M
Wavefront          (.obj)         5.04M
Renderware       (.rwx)         5.54M
AutoCAD          (.dxf)          6.04M
Alias                   (.tri)           7.40M
OpenGL C code (.c)            7.68M
QuickDraw 3D   (.3dm)        8.13M
stereolithography (.stl)           11.8M
POV                   (.pov)        12.6M
Pro/E                  (.slp)          16.8M
Lightscape           (.lp)           19.1M

-Doug Eichenberg

Post a reply to this message

"Doug Eichenberg" <dou### [at] nlsnet> wrote in message
> Just for the heck of it, I took the TrueSpace .cob file for the Gila
monster
> I used last round in the IRTC and converted it into a number of different
> formats.  Here's how they compare in size:

> <snip>

Interesting - is the quality on each fairly identical?

Post a reply to this message