POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Normalizing a function Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Normalizing a function (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Abe
Subject: Normalizing a function
Date: 30 Jun 2000 21:50:42
Message: <395D4DBF.37D91440@taconic.net>
Could someone offer a suggestion for normalizing a function in MegaPov?
I'm working with a perlin noise routine based on noise3d which I'd like
to bring into the range of 0 to 1. Is there a way of determining the
minima and maxima of a function other than empirically?

Abe

Post a reply to this message

>Could someone offer a suggestion for normalizing a function in MegaPov?
>I'm working with a perlin noise routine based on noise3d which I'd like
>to bring into the range of 0 to 1. Is there a way of determining the
>minima and maxima of a function other than empirically?

If you are using noise3d, replace each use of "noise3d()" with a 1 or a 0
and evaluate the resulting expression.  Find the combination of ones and
zeros that gives you the maximum and the minimum.

Mark