POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : country_grass Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  country_grass (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Tony[B]
Subject: country_grass
Date: 27 Jun 2000 17:02:37
Message: <3959166d@news.povray.org>
As many of you know, I modified Samuel's grass macro to use trace(). This
morning, at around 2AM, in the middle of my desperation trying to improve
the macro, an idea came to me, and I tried it out. The blades of grass in
Samuel's macro are made of one triangle and three boxes. I turned this into
a small mesh of 7 triangles. This reduces memory consumption (in my tests,
7500 blades went from 64MB to 46MB), and speeds up rendering a bit. The only
trade-off is that due to the use of trace() and a special condition I added,
the parsing is slower. I think it's worth it, though. I'll be posting the
source soon. I'm thinking of adding control over the pattern that gets
evaluated. Should I do that before releasing the code, or should I just post
what I have right away?

PS: I have posted an image in .images, which consists of 55,000 blades. More
details there...

Post a reply to this message

"Tony[B]" <ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote in message
| The blades of grass in
| Samuel's macro are made of one triangle and three boxes. I turned this into
| a small mesh of 7 triangles. This reduces memory consumption (in my tests,
| 7500 blades went from 64MB to 46MB), and speeds up rendering a bit. The only
| trade-off is that due to the use of trace() and a special condition I added,
| the parsing is slower.
| I'm thinking of adding control over the pattern that gets
| evaluated. Should I do that before releasing the code, or should I just post
| what I have right away?
|
| PS: I have posted an image in .images, which consists of 55,000 blades. More
| details there...

I hadn't understood how Samuel's was done.  It never looked like a single
triangle before.  That's a pretty good improvement your way but 5+ hours and
329MB memory still seems an awful lot for a small hillside of grass.  But then
maybe I'm just pessimistic.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

The triangle is the tip, and the boxes are the body.

Post a reply to this message

| The triangle is the tip, and the boxes are the body.

Oh.  Thanks.  I saw it as being triangles all the way from tip to near base
where the box shape could be seen.

Bob