POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help w/simple macro Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  help w/simple macro (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: ross litscher
Subject: help w/simple macro
Date: 19 May 2000 16:36:30
Message: <3925A6B6.CB89CD94@osu.edu>
Hi, ive recently been trying to ween myself off modellers and do some
hand coding. So I made a simple macro as practice, well.. it's short so
here it is. (my_spike is just a cone really)

#macro Make_Grid (spacing, size)

	#local grid = 0;
	#while (grid < size)

		#local zee = spacing * grid;
		#local copy = 0;

		#while (copy < size)
		object {
			my_spike
			translate <spacing*copy, 0, zee>
			}
		#local copy = copy + 1;
		#end

	#local grid = grid + 1;
	#end
	//A cheap fix for it not putting a cone at <0,0,0>
	object { my_spike }
#end

then i do:

#declare Grid_1 = Make_Grid(.5, 2)

and this renders and all. But how do I do anything with Grid_1 now? Say
I want to
rotate it 45*x and translate it 3*y.

Am I doing things at all close to correct? Thanks for the help...

Ross

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, ive recently been trying to ween myself off modellers and do some
> hand coding. So I made a simple macro as practice, well.. it's short so
> here it is. (my_spike is just a cone really)
>
> #macro Make_Grid (spacing, size)
>
>         #local grid = 0;
>         #while (grid < size)
>
>                 #local zee = spacing * grid;
>                 #local copy = 0;
>
>                 #while (copy < size)
>                 object {
>                         my_spike
>                         translate <spacing*copy, 0, zee>
>                         }
>                 #local copy = copy + 1;
>                 #end
>
>         #local grid = grid + 1;
>         #end
>         //A cheap fix for it not putting a cone at <0,0,0>
>         object { my_spike }
> #end
>
> then i do:
>
> #declare Grid_1 = Make_Grid(.5, 2)
>
> and this renders and all. But how do I do anything with Grid_1 now? Say
> I want to
> rotate it 45*x and translate it 3*y.
>
> Am I doing things at all close to correct? Thanks for the help...
>
> Ross

I have not tried your code,
but as far as I can see it looks OK.

Now you just have to change your last #declare to this

#declare Grid_1 =
union {
  Make_Grid(.5, 2)
  rotate 45*x
  translate 3*y
}

You could also have done this:

#macro Make_Grid(spacing, size)

  union {
    // place the rest of your
    // macro code here
  }

#end // macro Make_Grid

And then the last declare could/should
be done like this:

#declare Grid_1 =
object {
  Make_Grid(.5, 2)
  rotate 45*x
  translate 3*y
}

And (of coarse) you can use other CSG operators instead of union

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html

Post a reply to this message

> Now you just have to change your last #declare to this
>
> #declare Grid_1 =
> union {
>   Make_Grid(.5, 2)
>   rotate 45*x