POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : finish vectors????? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  finish vectors????? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: AC
Subject: finish vectors?????
Date: 16 May 2000 17:13:32
Message: <3921b9fc@news.povray.org>
Has anyone here thought that  it could  be practical to have some kind of
vector format for a finish?

Example:
#declare Mirror = finish {ambient 0  diffuse 0 reflection 1}
could be
#declare Mirror= finish{ adr<0,0,1>}

Just a thought.

Have a great day
Ambis

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: finish vectors?????
Date: 16 May 2000 17:33:51
Message: <3921bebf@news.povray.org>
An interesting idea, however there would be so many floats within
such a "vector" it might be somewhat difficult to keep in mind what
goes where.  I believe there are currently 11 or more individual parts.
Also the way people write those out varies greatly, no set rule on
what goes first, second, third, etc.  Plus the fact that reflection itself can
be a vector already.
But not a bad idea if done certain ways.
Perhaps like:  finish { ad 0.1,0.6 sr 0.5,0.05 ps 0.3,80 re 0.9,1 mb 1,1 c 0.1 }
ad = ambient and diffuse
sr = specular and roughness
ps = phong and phong_size
re = reflection and reflection_exponent (also possible, re <0.9,0.9,0.9>,1)
mb = metallic and brilliance
c = crand

There's also 'irid' but it has it's own statement within the finish.
For shorthand it couldn't hurt to do in such ways I suppose.

Bob

{