POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make a pierced dome? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  How to make a pierced dome? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Matt Moose
Subject: How to make a pierced dome?
Date: 17 Apr 2000 16:12:33
Message: <38fb6f9e.5001681@news.povray.org>
I need to make a hemispherical dome with a thin metallic surface,
similar to a pocket watch cover, and pierce it with simple shapes. Can
anyone advise on how to do this please? (The piercing of these shapes
must not interfere with other nearby objects if possible, as the shape
holes are making way for other objects to poke through).

Many thanks for all the help I've received here so far

Matt.

Post a reply to this message

Try doing a CSG-ed sphere, like the following:

difference {
	sphere { bla bla bla  --- make is big}
	box { bla bla --- to cut everything but the top of the sphere }
}

and then difference that shape with whateer you want.

Matt Moose wrote:

> I need to make a hemispherical dome with a thin metallic surface,
> similar to a pocket watch cover, and pierce it with simple shapes. Can
> anyone advise on how to do this please? (The piercing of these shapes
> must not interfere with other nearby objects if possible, as the shape
> holes are making way for other objects to poke through).
>
> Many thanks for all the help I've received here so far
>
> Matt.

Post a reply to this message

> I need to make a hemispherical dome with a thin metallic surface,
> similar to a pocket watch cover, and pierce it with simple shapes. Can
> anyone advise on how to do this please? (The piercing of these shapes
> must not interfere with other nearby objects if possible, as the shape
> holes are making way for other objects to poke through).
>
> Many thanks for all the help I've received here so far

Hmm, just use CSG:

difference {
    difference {
        sphere {< 0, 0, 0>, 1}// the dome

        sphere {< 0, 0, 0>, 0.95}// hollow it out
        plane {y, 0}// chop half of it off to make a hemisphere
        scale < 1, 0.5, 1>// flatten it a bit if you want
    }

    cylinder {< 0, 0, 0>, < 1, 1, 0>, 0.3}// chop whatever shapes you
    cylinder {< 0, 0, 0>, <-1, 1, 0>, 0.3}// want out of it.
}

If the dome is really a hemisphere, you can just remove the scale and
the outer difference and place the cutting shapes inside the inner
difference. Or you could place the scale inside the two sphere
statements...there are many possible ways to do it.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message

Amazing, I actually knew a Matt Moose once. You didn't live in the USA,
and in California once, did you?

--
Samuel Benge

E-Mail: STB### [at] aolcom

Visit the still unfinished isosurface tutorial:
http://members.aol.com/stbenge

Post a reply to this message