POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Voting rules for the POV-Ray Logo Competition Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Voting rules for the POV-Ray Logo Competition (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Rune
Subject: Voting rules for the POV-Ray Logo Competition
Date: 14 Mar 2000 15:50:55
Message: <38cea62f@news.povray.org>
Here I post my idea for the voting rules for the POV-Ray Logo Competition.
I do so because they are a little special, and so, it would be nice with a
discussion about them before the actual voting begins.

Instead of just voting for your favorite logo and nothing else I think each
voter should choose several priorities. Like "priority 1 = logo #4, priority
2 = logo #7, priority 3 = logo# 2" and so on.

This will give more accurate and fair results. This example demonstrates it:

Say there's 3 submitted logos and 12 voters. 3 voters think logo 1 is the
best, 4 voters think logo 2 is the best and 5 voters think logo 3 is the
best. After the "normal" voting system logo 3 would be the winner. But it
happens that logo 1 and logo 2 are very similar and all the voters that
likes logo 1 the most likes logo 2 second most. So 7 voters like logo 2 more
than logo 3 while only 5 voters like logo 3 the most. That is, logo 2 would
be the best winner. (End of example)

When the votes are to be counted it is done like this: First all the first
priorities are counted. The one logo with the fewest votes are then
excluded. Now all the votes are counted again, but the voters who have the
excluded logo as their first priority will have their next priority counted
instead. It continues like this until all logos but one is excluded.

Now, it would be best if everybody submitted as many priorities as possible,
so if there was 10 logos, then one made 10 priorities. However, there might
be some who thinks, "if no of my first 5 priorities win, then I'd rather
have that POV-Ray doesn't have a logo at all, because the other logos are
not good enough." I think that's OK, so I'll include that option (to "vote
blank"). It could also be, that one just doesn't care enough to make maybe
15 different priorities, but only the first few of them. In that case that
voter will just not count if/when all of his priorities are excluded and he
doesn't "vote blank".

I know it all may sound a little complicated, but it'll only take a little
extra effort from the voters. The one who counts the votes will have the
most extra work. That's me, and I don't mind. :-)

So, what do you think of these voting rules?

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated January 24: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,