POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How's it pronounced? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  How's it pronounced? (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: How's it pronounced?
Date: 14 Mar 2000 12:24:10
Message: <38ce75ba@news.povray.org>
My usual method (others too I'd dare say judging by what I hear) is to say
acronyms as words rather than spelled out unless the resulting word sounds to be
nonsense or unpronounceable.  So to me POV is pahv.

Bob

"Josh English" <eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote in message
| I have always understood that "POV" was always spelled out. I've
| corrected people who have pronounced it as one word. I imagine that
| there are more common computing terms that are not pronounced as one
| word than those that are. We say "M-B" or "Megabyte" instead of "mib"
| but we do say "basic" instead of "beginners all-purose symbolic
| instruction code" or whatever it stands for.
|
| Josh
|
| Steve Martin wrote:
|
| > Forgive me for this admittedly anal question, but I got to
| > wondering after reading all these "Linux is pronounced..."
| > threads.
| >
| > How is "POV-Ray" officially pronounced? Is it "PAHV-ray"
| > (as I've always thought of it), "PEE-OH-VEE-ray", or
| > something else?
| >
| > Is there even an "official" pronunciation? Is this a
| > question for the Team?
|
| --
| Josh English
| eng### [at] spiritonecom
| "May your hopes, dreams, and plans not be destroyed by a few zeros."

Post a reply to this message

"Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> My usual method (others too I'd dare say judging by what I hear) is to say
> acronyms as words rather than spelled out unless the resulting word sounds
to be
> nonsense or unpronounceable.  So to me POV is pahv.
>
> Bob

Post a reply to this message

If you *can* pronounce it as one word, why would you pronounc it as
three letters?
It says POV, not P.O.V.
So it *is* pov, not p o v.

I have spoken...

ZK

Mike Weber wrote:

> PEE-OH-VEE-ray!
> PEE-OH-VEE-ray!
> PEE-OH-VEE-ray!
>
> --
> Mike
>
> wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
> hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber
> www.geocities.com/mikepweber
>
> "Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> > My usual method (others too I'd dare say judging by what I hear) is to say
> > acronyms as words rather than spelled out unless the resulting word sounds
> to be
> > nonsense or unpronounceable.  So to me POV is pahv.
> >
> > Bob

Post a reply to this message