POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Irregular Bodies Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Irregular Bodies (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Andrea Ryan
Subject: Irregular Bodies
Date: 2 Feb 2000 22:21:08
Message: <3898F0FC.74F6B018@global2000.net>
Hello,
how can irregular bodies like rocks, Phobos and Deimos be created in
POV-Ray?  I have maps of both moons.
Brendan Ryan

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Warren
Subject: Re: Irregular Bodies
Date: 2 Feb 2000 23:23:17
Message: <389902b5@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle has a nice Rock Maker Include File.

A little more esoteric would be Mark J. Stock's RockTools
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mstock/pages/rocktools.html

John Beale's page has orb...thiny.

Sorry I'm coming down with a bit of a cold
so my brain is not so sharp.

Uncle Ken's Links (for all your POVRay needs.)
http://www.spiritone.com/~english/ken/linkstoc.html

Post a reply to this message

That list is terrible outdated. Use the links at povray.org instead.
http://www.povray.org/links/

>how can irregular bodies like rocks, Phobos and Deimos be created in
>POV-Ray?  I have maps of both moons.
>Brendan Ryan

If you have the heightfield for a moon/planet/asteroid/whatever, you can use
an isosurface to directly create a spherical heightfield.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

> >how can irregular bodies like rocks, Phobos and Deimos be created in
> >POV-Ray?  I have maps of both moons.
> >Brendan Ryan
>
> If you have the heightfield for a moon/planet/asteroid/whatever, you can use
> an isosurface to directly create a spherical heightfield...

...assuming you are running the patched version of POV-Ray called MegaPov.
This feature is not available in the official version of POV-Ray.