POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height fields Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Height fields (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: Height fields
Date: 20 Jan 2000 08:26:10
Message: <8EC1957A8seed7@204.213.191.228>
Remco de Korte wrote:

>I haven't tried TGAMosaic (yet); doesn't that do the trick?

No, it doesn't do an array, it writes objects with colours directly.

>Otherwise you can get the utility at my page
>(http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/pov.html). Look for ImagInc. ...

Got it and exploring now. Thank you.

Ingo

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 20 Jan 2000 09:14:15
Message: <38871837@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
: You can do it in the official version but it's quite a heavier
: solution than using trace(). Convert the hf source picture to ppm,
: then use search/replace to replace all white space with commas, and
: then use the file i/o functions in POV to read it into a 2D array.

  Getting the height in-between the pixels requires some math.

True. However, you would have to do interpolation for intermediate values. And
finding the surface normal will be a bit more difficult, if required.

Margus

Peter Popov wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:21:21 -0500, Andrea Ryan <ary### [at] global2000net>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way of finding the height of a height field at a given
> >point?
> >Brendan Ryan
>
> You can do it in the official version but it's quite a heavier
> solution than using trace(). Convert the hf source picture to ppm,
> then use search/replace to replace all white space with commas, and
> then use the file i/o functions in POV to read it into a 2D array.
>
> Peter Popov
> pet### [at] usanet
> ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message