POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV domain name abuse? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:25:44 EDT (-0400)
From: Ray Gardener
Subject: POV domain name abuse?
Date: 18 Jan 2000 23:06:06

From: omniVERSE
Subject: Re: POV domain name abuse?
Date: 19 Jan 2000 03:33:14
Message: <388576ca@news.povray.org>
http://www.disneypov.com/
http://www.p-o-v-image.com/
http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/on-line/outofsight/BirdinCage.html <--must see :-)
http://www.iit.edu/%7Esmile/ph8609.html <--?
http://www.aplus.com/seth/trek/124.html <--???

And the list goes on...

Bob

"Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote in message
> The URL http://www.pov.com/ points
> to http://www.icast.com/, some
> media company. Oddly, the domain
> registrant is "Persistence of Vision",
> but the expression doesn't appear
> anywhere at the ICast site.
>
> Is ICast using POV-Ray's popularity
> to gain traffic..?
>
> Curious,
> Ray

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 19 Jan 2000 04:00:15
Message: <3889710B.1312A36B@pacbell.net>
Ray Gardener wrote:

> The URL http://www.pov.com/ points
> to http://www.icast.com/, some
> media company. Oddly, the domain
> registrant is "Persistence of Vision",
> but the expression doesn't appear
> anywhere at the ICast site.
>
> Is ICast using POV-Ray's popularity
> to gain traffic..?
>
> Curious,
> Ray

  If it was http://www.POV-Ray.com there would be a conflict of interest
because POV-Ray is a registered trademark. POV however is not a trademark
of the POV-Team therefore does not represent a problem.

Per POV-Legal

"POV-Ray", "Persistence of Vision", "POV-Team" and "POV-Help" are
trademarks of the POV-Team.

> because POV-Ray is a registered trademark. POV however is not a trademark
> of the POV-Team therefore does not represent a problem.
>
> Per POV-Legal
>
> "POV-Ray", "Persistence of Vision", "POV-Team" and "POV-Help" are
> trademarks of the POV-Team.

Have a look at the links Bob gave.

http://www.disneypov.com

On the page they use "Persistence of Vision". Doesn't sound good to me

Just my two Pfennige.

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler