POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free image file converter Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Free image file converter (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: Free image file converter
Date: 20 Jan 2000 02:56:37
Message: <3886BD9C.B5418AFC@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> SamuelT. <STB### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> : Are the paint tools in Gimp better than the ones in PSP?
>
>   Isn't PSP a commercial program that co$t$ lot$ of money?

When it first came out it was definately a shareware only product.
I think you can still get shareware versions but the last version
I got (PSP 4.0  - $49.95 US) was purshased at a retail outlet so
I suppose that qualifies it as a commercial program. Regardless
PSP is many times lower in cost than programs like PhotoShop,
Corel, and Adobe which cost in the hundreds of dollars but still
offers many of the same features. You could call it the top of
the line hobbyist graphics program (hmm... kind of like POV-Ray)
where the programs I mentioned before are considered suitable
for production work.

> > : Are the paint tools in Gimp better than the ones in PSP?
> >
> >   Isn't PSP a commercial program that co$t$ lot$ of money?
>
> When it first came out it was definately a shareware only product.
> I think you can still get shareware versions but the last version
> I got (PSP 4.0  - $49.95 US) was purshased at a retail outlet so
> I suppose that qualifies it as a commercial program. Regardless
> PSP is many times lower in cost than programs like PhotoShop,
> Corel, and Adobe which cost in the hundreds of dollars but still
> offers many of the same features. You could call it the top of
> the line hobbyist graphics program (hmm... kind of like POV-Ray)
> where the programs I mentioned before are considered suitable
> for production work.

I'm not sure, but one comparison might be PSP is to Gimp as Blender is to
POV-Ray.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message