POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG to texture Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG to texture (Message 21 to 21 of 21)
From: Spider
Subject: Re: JPEG to texture
Date: 13 Jan 2000 16:00:28
Message: <387D98A5.51D7CBF0@bahnhof.se>
Mike Williams wrote:

> Wasn't it Spider who wrote:
> >> There's a big difference here. No successful fractal compression
> >> algoithm exist. There surely is a great potential here, but no
> >> algorithm for effectively turning an image into a set of fractal
> >> functions.
> >
> >There are.
> >Do a web search for the .fif format, Fractal Image Format I belive it
> >is. Graphic Workshop could/can read it, and it was great for photos, but
> >I've lost all references to it over the years.
>
> There is a shareware program, Fractal Imager, at http://www.iterated.com
> that can encode and decode FIF format files.
Ahh. I knew it was there somewhere.

> Some drawbacks with fractal image compression are:
>
>  The algorithms are patented, and the owners of the patents are not
>  making them freely available. In particular, they've only made the
>  algorithms available on a small number of operating systems.

I think I mentioned this in the other post, and I agree, it is a bad
thing. But there is such a thing as successful fractal compression :p
The lack of support(platforms), and the somewhat bothersome interface(at
least IMO back then) is also a drawback.

>  The time taken to encode a file is quite noticeable - as much as 68
>  seconds for an 800x600 image on my 500MHz machine, and probably quite a
>  bit longer on the machines that were commonly available on 1995.

Yes... it was time consuming, but then I thought the quality was quite
remarkable, and filesizes in comparsion were quite small as well.

I ran it on a 486 DX2 - 66, as far as I can remember.. It was a mess..
but it ran :)

--
//Spider    --  [ spider@bahnhof.se ]-[ http://darkmere.wanfear.com/ ]
And the devil in black dress watches over