POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A suggestion a FAQ for not quite newbies Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  A suggestion a FAQ for not quite newbies (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Matt Giwer
Subject: A suggestion a FAQ for not quite newbies
Date: 8 Jan 2000 03:13:00
Message: <387648DB.DBE5EFC1@ij.net>
I have not posted usenet under my own name for
years but some say my writing style is unmistakable so
you may have seen my post on the rendering and
photoshop newsgroups.

    What I have noticed there is a catetory of
questions from people trying to come to conceptual
grips with aspects of rendering. For example a weekly
question is like, "How can I get a 3D effect from a
Photoshop image?" The answer is, you can not as you do
not have 3D information to work with. You can only try
to fake it.

    There are about a dozen such questions. These are
from people who rather clearly are good at normal
graphics programs but just have not quite grasped 3D
modeling. And to be frank about it, some of the posts I
have seen here indicate there are lots of 3D gurus who
do not quite grasp what 2D imaging is all about.

    So I was thinking, how about a FAQ to get both
sides up to speed on both methods? I would be more than
willing to host it if one can be put together and if
povray.org does not wish to.

    My website has some very controversial material
that will be included in blocking software real soon
now. So a host other than myself may be a better place.

    It is not that the intellectual leap is that hard.
It is that the better you are at one the harder it is
to jump to the other. It would more or less save people
a couple months of rethinking to learn the other. Ana
maybe prevent some creative folks from giving up
because they don't have those couple months.

    Just a thought.

Post a reply to this message